Notes from Sensemaking 101
/ An 8-week course hosted by Rebel Wisdom
- Hosts: Alexander Beiner, David Fuller, Ivo Mensch firstname.lastname@example.org
June 18, 2020
- Key concept of sovereignty: it’s not about delegating sense-making to anyone else, including people here, but about developing our own center that allows us to develop and refine our own sense, through feedback loops with others.
- Ivo Mensch put together the course. Goes from inner to outer in terms of sense-making.
- Course summary:
- Week 1: Introduction.
- Week 2: Presence, led by Alexander. Meditation, centering, inquiry. Inquiry is a talking meditation without trying to find an answer to it. Diamond Approach?
- Week 3: Shadow, by Doshin Roshi.
- Week 4: Wisdom, by John Vervaeke.
- Week 5: Practice session, led by Diane Hamilton. How our neurobiology gets triggered, and how to stay centered.
- Week 6: Reading week, integration week. Shifts from inside to outside.
- Week 7: Sensemaking, by Daniel Schmachtenberger
- Week 8: Sensemaking 2, by David Fuller
- Week 9: Next Steps
- Sovereignty meditation.
- Centering meditation.
- Breath, Wim Hoff, pranayama breathing, it’s the link between our conscious and subconscious. A way of interacting with our subconscious.
- Inquiry: using language as a talking meditation to move from fixed certainty to getting in touch with your experience of the conversation through the body. Dialogos.
- All of our growth happens at the edge of our comfort zone.
- One problem with sensemaking is that we try to do it too quickly.
- Being in the flow state
- 4 people who will be a small group who meet weekly during the course
July 9th, 2020: John Vervaeke
- We are general problem solvers
- Relevance realization
- You don’t make insight, you have to set up a self-organizing process
- Insight is the realization that you’ve misframed something
- Salience landscape = what is getting attention right now
- Wisdom = ameliorate self-deception/foolishness, enhancements meaning in life, agency, flourishing
- Presence vs autopilot vs flow (a form of autopilot)
- “Trying not to try”
- Curiosity = from having mode
- Wonder = from being mode
- Propositional knowledge: I don’t know very much