Session script (working ideas)
Try running a demo session + Q&A on Tuesday 12 December (and record).
A. Intro (boilerplate, 2 minutes)
B. Warmup, Background, and Personal Context (5 minutes)
- We’re here to talk about your website experience but it’d be great to learn a little bit about you before we start.
- Where do you live?
- What types of things do you enjoy doing outside work?
- How comfortable are you with technology?
- What are some of the apps and websites you use the most?
- When you need to learn new things, how do you go about it?
[Listen for background, interests, hints of technology savviness, etc]
C. Professional Context: Goals and ‘A Day in the Life’ (10 minutes)
- Let’s talk about your work.
- What do you do?
- How long have you been doing it? What did you do before?
- Is this your only job or source of income? If no, what else do you do?
- Tell me about the future.
- What are your goals for the future?
- What does success look like for you?
- What are some risks you worry about? What could get in the way of that dream?
- I’d love to hear more about a day in your life.
- Walk us through a typical day for you, from when you get up until bedtime.
- If that’s an average day, what is a busy day or “fire drill” day like?
- Is there any seasonal component to your work? How does it change things?
- How many hours do you tend to work in a given week? What’s your schedule like generally?
- How satisfied are you with the amount of time you find yourself working?
[Listen for pain points, workflow, common tasks, personal needs vs. business needs]
[Probe for how they manage and define risk]
[Riff on unmet needs and opportunities]
D. Website experience (this section will differ depending on user) (15 minutes)
People without a website
- Tell me about why you need a website.
- Have you tried making a website before? What tools have you used?
- If you were to make a new website right now, what would be the first thing you’d do?
- What’s the most important goal a website should accomplish?
- What device do you use to create or update your website?
- When you think about building a website, how do you feel?
- Do you have a clear idea of what you want a website to look like?
People with a website
- Let’s talk about your site and how it is managed currently.
- What’s the URL of your website?
- How long has it been in existence?
- How did your current website come together?