Streambox building workshop
Cafe Oto Project Space
1-7 Ashwin Street, London, E8 3DL
Sunday 24 October 2021
- Pi Zero WH
- IQ Audio Codec Zero
- 2 x microphone capsules — eg PUI: https://www.puiaudio.com/products/AOM-5024L-HD-R or the Primo EM272 from micbooster
- Stereo mini jack plug — eg Hicon plug: https://www.thomann.de/gb/hicon_hij35s02.htm
- Audio Cable - split egSommer Peacock Twin Balanced Splitter Cable — https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173908640067?hash=item287dc34143:g:aScAAOSwi39c4rYW  OR simple 2 strand or 1 strand shielded cable
- Class 10 SD Card 8GB
- Streambox software from Stef Cousot, Locus Sonus 
- Dribox, small — with a weather tight lid — https://www.electricalworld.com/en/Dribox-Small-Black-Weatherproof-Box/m-4428.aspx or similar weatherproof enclosure
- Synthetic fur (long) for windshields
- Cable glands for installing mics — see +Streambox with Focusrite Soundcard
- Re-usable cable ties for fixing windshields - see guide/pictures: +Streambox with Focusrite Soundcard
- Power adaptor (mains AC to 5VDC) OR USB A > micro to connect a battery or charge controller.
- For connecting via mobile network
- Huaweil E3372 — unlocked
- Short On The Go (OTG) cable ie a micro-USB plug <> USB-A socket adaptor cable
- USB-A plug <> USB-A socket (eg 2m) extender 
- 4G data sim from EE (with APN and logins enabled in the streambox setup. Note that this needs to be done manually by putting the card in a USB reader, or in advance over WiFi by opening a browser tab at streambox.local. Enter the new settings > Save > Restart. The steambox returns over the 4G network. Running WiFi and 4G together may be unpredictable.)
- Mounting and windshields
- I mount each microphone in an end of the dribox, which includes a recess to do this. I use a cable gland in each end, fixed in a hole drilled with a graduated bit. I put a small foam windshield on each capsule and insert it through the cable gland, then tighten down the nut until secure but not too tight. The front of the capsule sits about flush with the front opening of the cable gland .
- 2 x windshields made from long hair synthetic fur. This has an open weave and seems almost acoustically transparent to my ears. I cut a 13cm circle and make pairs of radial slits near the circumference, thread through a re-usable cable tie, and pull together. This sits conveniently in the groove behind the cable gland’s locknut.
- The lid of the dribox provides weathering for the microphones. For more protection, you can put a tile or slate over the lid, overhanging a bit to shelter the windscreens.
- 2 x PUI capsules — https://www.puiaudio.com/products/AOM-5024L-HD-R are cheap and good; Primo EM272 (or the older EM172 from micbooster are more expensive, probably sound better, but the difference if suprisingly subtle.
- Wiring: If using 2 strand cable, wire red wire to the + pad on the capsule; white wire to the - pad on the capsule. Do this twice. Mark which cable is the Right channel. Wire the red wire of the Right and Left channels respectively to the R and L connections in the plug. Then combine both white wires with the shield and wire them all together to the plug ground.
- The Hicon plug: https://www.thomann.de/gb/hicon_hij35s02.htm  has a large cable entry point, which is useful to bringing in cables from both microphones.
Once the pi is on the network, you can access it at:
Or eg streambox2.local [if you changed it]