Shelter Vulnerability Classification WG - running notes
- Household Shelter Needs Severity Analysis guidance (JIAF/ MSNA) V2 CLEANED: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19OgI4PkxYuDiUncUmYmcpZnD6XkE1o621MuYZLLjxsg/edit?usp=sharing
- Household Shelter Needs Severity Analysis guidance (JIAF/ MSNA) V1 WITH COMMENTS: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1osEsF1oLTR-g4EdjNyu6qtozZBtbZZVSH0RdnG2YFTM/edit
- Dimension and Class mapping matrix CLEANED https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INecTLuMnizIMX0JItO94edB8KyU5KEZKxE-LYbhWE4/edit#gid=0
- Dimension and Class mapping (with comments from Shelter Week 2018 addressed) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ooBg-ygF7Xb1AprpzMzY17o-heTFO9spA5_Gg1XD6nU/edit?usp=sharing
- Factor Ranking Survey (Survey Monkey)- https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/572759L
- Dimension and Class mapping (with updates from Shelter Week 2018) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-KAQVhPC9zBKQTMqpDE2GemYUbC25_BlrYtG1TOR8o/edit?usp=sharing
- SVC Manual draft - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VNv2cn7_KG9hs1j_5u8VC1cTWUU2mVJajqpQ2mWzP5A/edit
- Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gwo17muw
- What we are trying to do - +What we are trying to do (working draft)
- Preliminary ToC/ Conceptual Framework (with updates from Shelter Week 2018) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dle18xir6x2vrfu/conceptual%20framework.pdf?dl=0
Meeting Date: 9 October 2019 11.00 CEST - GSC Shelter Week Meeting - Working Group Session
Present: Neil, Hannoa, Augusto, Chloe; participants from GSC Meeting (around 20)
Introduction and outline of session- Neil
- Introduction of all breakout group members (around 15-20)
- Background / history of the working group
- Overview of work completed so far, explanation of progress on framework
- Current aims of the group
- Explanation of JIAG overall process, how this affected the process and how it can be connected
Initial questions from participants prior to group work
- Question on the scope of the framework/tools and whether they are supposed to include consideration of host communities and how they are affected.
- Question on how the process and outputs will impact the HNO 2019 / 2020 process, and how the tool may help to estimate PiN.
- Question on whether tenure / rental market / housing stock aspects are reflected in the framework.
- Question on timelines and when the results / outputs will be available.
- Note that some countries (Yemen, Ukraine) have done or are conducting similar or related in-country exercises; it would be useful to gather and incorporate these.
- Three groups- household, sub-national and national- asked to provide input and suggestions on indicators, as well as prioritise indicators they see as particularly important.
Comments related to indicators / framework (general comments; specific comments added to indicator sheet)
- Suggestion to consider including more of a disability focus (even if this is just disaggregation of certain indicators), to incorporate the fact that people with disabilities are likely to be more vulnerable to shelter issues.
- Discussion on the potential inclusion of capabilities approach (from development thinking) or aspects of self-recovery within the framework
- Consideration of how this can be measured- amending / adding indicators within certain sections, viewing the framework from a different lens.
- Consideration of whether the answer is to look at resilience indicators.
- May need to split conflict and natural disasters when prioritising indicators.
- Point raised about the issue of groups which aren't necessarily the 'most vulnerable', but in the middle, so continuously don't receive assistance for years- suggestion to include basic needs aspect.
- Note that the definition of vulnerability could be clearer- question around whether this is supposed to align with JIAG, whether there is an intended difference for pre/post crisis situations, whether it is supposed to incorporate capability to recover.
- Could add a greater component on energy and green programming (e.g. no of HH / infrastructure included in such programmes).
- Can add environmental sustainability to national level frameworks.
- Suggestion to try to include measures of socio-cultural vulnerability.
- Could consider merging the contingency planning and coordination/disaster management sub-factors, to reduce overlap in these areas.
- Could add the presence of in-country cadastre to institutional capacity or preparedness.