RED COVID-19 Town Hall on April 7, 2020
Near term → More federal funding coming
- Anticipate a flood of opportunities in next few months
- Short notices
- Short deadlines
Longer term → What can we prepare ourselves for
1. Increase in funding budget
- Especially for proposals that are
- Ready to deploy. Ready to spend.
- Supplements to existing grants
- (potential 15% increase to active awards)
- MRI/HPC proposals especially for Big Data and Large Dataset
- Highly relevant to CCI
Near-term initiatives at UNC Charlotte
If you have COVID-19 projects,
- then contact Mike Fresina to have it posted on RED site
New Ignite Planning Grants ($5k - $10k for 3 months)
- Collaborative groups to go after short deadlines for COVID-19
- Going online
- Start in May
- More participants → Note for Department Chairs in CCI
If you are in year 1 or 2, should we apply for No-Cost Extensions now?
- Agencies will probably not entertain the 2nd NCE
- Note: First year NCE is automatic
Can extensions be requested for ROI grants?
- Will need to be checked with the systems office
Can we have undergrad and grad students back on campus to do research this summer?
- We don’t know yet.
- No in-class courses for summer 1
When will we know the supplement requests will be coming from the sponsors?
- RED is checking daily
- If there is any Phase IV funding, the supplement funding will be included in that Phase IV
- Note: it would be worthwhile to keep documenting the costs that have been impacted by COVID-19 for these types of supplement requests.
Will the University consider reducing charged Overhead to "off campus" rates for the 2-3 months that we are off-campus?
- Federal government will not allow this at this point
It is likely that industrial affiliates in some centers will have to temporarily withdraw support. These centers employ a lot of grad students. Could this qualify for relief funding?
- What’s covered by the CARE act is somewhat vague/unclear
- Will become more clear in next 2 weeks
- We will need more guidance from the sponsors
If teams are interested in apply for COVID-19 proposals,
- then please apply for COVID-19 Ignite proposals
We have committed undergrad students with money for summer, what do we do?
- Consider ways of doing research remotely somehow