Python Bytes 143
Sponsored by DigitalOcean:
- Enabling Python on new platforms is important.
- Python needs to expand further than just CPython.
- Web, 3D games, system orchestration, mobile, all have other languages that are more used. Perhaps it’s because the full Python language, like CPython in full is more than is needed, and a limited language is necessary.
- MicroPython and CircuitPython are successful.
- They are limited implementations of Python
- Łukasz talks about many parts of Python that could probably be trimmed to make targeted platforms very usable without losing too much.
- It’d be great if more projects tried to implement Python versions for other platforms, even if the Python implementation is limited.
Lots of updates happening to the Code with Mu software
- Mu is a Python code editor for beginner programmers
- originally created as a contribution from the for the BBC’s
- Code with Mu presented at EuroPython and shared a lot of interesting updates and things in the alpha version of Mu, website.
- Mu is a modal editor:
- BBC Microbit
- Circuit Python
- ESP Micropython
- Pygame Zero
- Python 3
- Tiago Monte’s recorded presentation at EuroPython
- Game with Turtle
- Flask —
- Hot off the press: Nick just released a GUI framework for BEGINNER developers in Python based off of .
- It is a “PyperCard is a inspired and deliberately constrained framework for beginner programmers.
- linked repos on .
- module re-uses the JSON specification used to create HyperCard
- The concept allows user to “create Hypercard like stacks of states” to allow beginner coders to create choose their own adventure games.
- The Python traceback has a wealth of information that can help you diagnose and fix the reason for the exception being raised in your code.
- What do we learn right away?
- The type of error
- A description of the error (hopefully, sometimes)
- The line of code the error occurred on
- The call stack (filenames, line numbers, and module names)
- If the error happened while handling another error
- Read from bottom to top — that was weird to me
- Most common error? AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'an_attribute'
- Article talks about other common errors
- Are you creating custom exceptions to make your packages more useful?