📝 Penn Graphic Design Week 2 – Design Ideas and Systems
Marshall McLuhan – The Medium is the Message
If we look at our list from last week, we came up with the following working definition on what graphic design is:
- Intentionality with decisions
- Understanding information and communicating messaging
- Expression of an idea or topic through specific aesthetic choices
- Using technology to communicate and produce something
- A visual abstraction of a thought
- Asking questions, solving problems
We also all agreed that graphic design is not:
Just a tool (photoshop)
Just a facet of capitalism (branding, shopping things, ads)
One way of looking at things
With these definitions in mind, let’s evaluate a few projects and evaluate their designs.
As we look at them let’s invite the questions:
- What do you think the design idea is here?
- Why does this look the way it does?
- What parts of the design are stylistic and what parts are utilitarian?
- How do you think the designer came up with this design?
- How do the type, materials or interactions help communicate the concept?
- Community feeling
- Hierarchy of the contents; exposing the contents
- Utilitarian - hyperlinks
- Yellow pages
- Old website, havent changed it much
Sara Cwynar, Rose Gold, 2017