Welcome to the Palliative Medicine Wiki, an recently formed, work-in-progress, online wikibook of palliative medicine for doctors, medical students and other health professionals.
This wikibook seeks to be an accurate source of up-to-date information about the field of palliative medicine with a focus on the symptoms, investigations, treatment and prognosis of terminal illnesses and their complications as well as on symptom relief issues and pharmacology that is relevant to palliative medicine.
For a very concise summary of treatment guidelines for palliative care patients, see
- +Continuous Subcutaneous Infusions (and compatibilities)
- +Opioids (including equivalence tables)
- +Prognostication (including tools to help)
Introduction to Palliative Medicine
Palliative Illness (see chapter 2 below for details of different palliative illnesses).
Communication (see chapter 5 below for details of management including communication)
Quality of Life and Symptom Control (see chapters 3 to 5 for details on symptoms, signs, investigation and management).
End of Life Care
- +Care in the Last Few Days of Life (see chapter 6 for details on ethical and spiritual issues).
Conditions and Complications
- Thoracic Malignancies
- Lung Cancer - Small Cell Lung Cancer and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- +Mesothelioma - Pleural Mesothelioma
- Breast Cancer
- Gynaecological Malignancies
- Ovarian Cancer
- Primary Peritoneal Cancer
- Endometrial Cancer
- Cervical Cancer
- Urological Malignancies
- +Prostate Cancer
- Transitional Cell Cancer - See +Bladder Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Malignancies
- +Colorectal cancer Colorectal Cancer
- Stomach Cancer
- Oesophageal Cancer
- Hepatobiliary Malignancies
- +Pancreas cancer