Open Data Day Albany/Troy 2018
With generous support from:
This hackpad: http://tiny.cc/odd18
- Your organizers, Ursula Kaczmarek and Matthew Lean, are here if you need anything.
- Restrooms are down the hall toward the elevator and to the right.
- Find Alex to connect your GitHub profile to the JupyterHub server.
10:30-11:15 AM: Intro to Shiny with Jason Bryer
- This workshop will introduce participants to shiny Package in R. Shiny provides a framework for creating web applications in R. We will work through creating a simple shiny application to analyze
1:30-2:15 PM: Open data sources with Matthew Lean
2:30-3:15 PM: Intro to machine learning with open data with Ursula Kaczmarek
- This workshop will demonstrate a typical machine learning using data from the NYS open data catalogue.
- There’s a companion Jupyter for Python users.
Project Hack Ideas
- Open Source Software in Healthcare
- healthcare data is always a good one!
- Doing good with data - using my skills toward something more fulfilling than marketing attribution modeling :)
- Using Tensorflow
- Quandl, SEC EDGAR, Amazon Product Information
- Interested in public health, sustainability, and environmental public data and how they are currently being use to drive innovation
- Open elections NY: https://github.com/openelections/openelections-data-ny (in the room to the left of the projector)
- State/county/municipal website audit: standards for accessibility (visual/audio)
- Uncovering unexpected sources of open data and linking the data to insights: FOILed data, muckrock.com, lilSis
- Find public uses/collection of personal information like SSNs
- Create dataset that could be used to extend to include vulnerabilities beyond just those in the National Vulnerability Database (). Sample vulnerability scraper for . Perhaps develop a GitHub scraper that collects vulnerability-related bugs for an arbitrary project
- Visualize NVD to understand which third-party libraries are “covered” and where vulnerability data needs to be collected
- efficacy of education dollars spent
- NYSERDA green building initiative
- Water quality
- Mashup with some form of public health data
- Visualize water quality alerts following wet weather
- Harvest data out of unstructured corporate 10-K quarterly reports to do… something