Primary aim here is to uncover motivations, emotions, and tasks related to building (or customising) a website. Conversation should touch on some of the points here, but the script is intended as a guide, not as a prescription. Aim to keep conversation as natural as possible whilst focussing on root motivations and drivers related to building a site (and the job the site is there to perform.)
A. Intro (boilerplate, 2 minutes)
Hi! I’m [your name]. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us today! Your answers will be used to inform our future product direction.
This session is not related to sales, I will not be trying to sell you anything during today’s call. You aren’t being tested, and there are no wrong answers. We’re mostly just going to chat today about you and about your experience with building websites. It should take us around one hour. We simply want to understand you better.
I will be recording audio and video of this session. If there is ever a specific thing that you do not want me to record, just let me know. You may also see a couple of my teammates joining the call—they’re here mostly to take notes, so I don’t have to try to do that while we’re talking.
Do you have any questions for me before we get started?
* Advise participants that recording has been activated and start the recording!
Let’s learn a little bit about you before we start.
- Tell me a little bit about yourself.
- What types of things do you enjoy doing outside work?
- How comfortable are you with technology?
- What are some of the apps and websites you use the most?
- When you need to learn new things, how do you go about it?
[Listen for background, interests, hints of technology savviness, etc]
Let’s talk about your work (related to websites).
- For you, are websites related to a hobby or a job? (How do they differ?)
- How long have you been doing it? What did you do before?
- Is this your only job or source of income?
I’d love to hear more about a day in your life.
- Walk us through a typical day for you, from when you get up until bedtime.
- How many hours do you tend to work in a given week? What’s your schedule like generally?
Tell me about the future.
- What are your goals for the future?
- What does success look like for you?
- What are some risks you worry about? What could get in the way of that dream?
[Listen for pain points, workflow, common tasks, personal needs vs. business needs]
D. Website experience (this section will differ depending on user) (15 minutes)
Can you tell me a little bit about your experiences with websites so far? Do you have one of your own? Do you make them for others?
People without a website
- Tell me about why you need a website.
- Have you tried making a website before? What tools have you used?
- Tell me about the last time you tried to make a website. How did it go?
- If you were to make a new website right now, what would be the first thing you’d do?
- What’s the most important goal a website should accomplish?
- What device would you want to use to create or update your website?
- When you think about building a website, how do you feel?
- Do you have a clear idea of what you want a website to look like?
- What tasks do you need to take care of in order to set up a new website?