MGP 19 - $2,500 for State of the Mixers Report
- $2,500 (16 shares) to for writing a State of the Mixers Report
Note from Ameen: Trent has already started working on this report and made decent progress, but has requested to keep the WIP report private until it is further along. If you are a Moloch member and would like to see it, please reach out to me directly on Discord.
There has been a recent proliferation of mixer development intended for public Ethereum. It has been pointed out that a unified source broadly surveying the efforts does not exist. General information exists on disparate repositories or peppered throughout medium posts.
At the suggestion of Ameen Soleimani, I plan to complete a survey of all mixers under active development, focusing on ones which use Snarks or ring-signatures. I will avoid generalised mixing “sandboxes” given the differences in scope.
Here’s a proposed outline for the survey:
- Strategic importance of mixers
- BTC coinjoin context / prior art
- Abstract Tradeoffs between SNARKs and Ring Signatures
- Mixer List
- SNARK Based
- Ring Signature Based
- General Recommendations
One key output will be to collect and compare metrics across implementations. These will likely include:
- Deposit Cost (gas)
- Withdrawal Cost (gas)
- Merkle Tree Depth
- Merkle Tree Max items
- Average Proving time (ms)
- Constraints per-level
- Constraints overhead
- User Key size zipped & expanded mb
Part of the process may include interviewing teams to assess needs and bottlenecks, and compare common challenges. I will summarise the report with a series of general recommendations and guidelines for mixer efforts.
After the V1 report has been circulated I will transfer it to a Github repo where interested parties will be able to contribute. I plan to continue my coordinating efforts wherever they are helpful; some parts of the survey will likely remain actively maintained, as much as I am capable.
- Helped organise the Berlin Core Devs Meeting in April, including: gathering speakers, creating schedules, finding sponsors, coordinating livestream, soliciting community involvement, running the event
- Published articles recently explaining technical topics: Medium
EthGlobal Hackathons (Berlin, Denver, New York)
- ETHBerlin + EthBerlinZwei: Designed graphics (including marketing material and event posters)
- Provided logistics support throughout the venue
- Helped to staff checkin booth, facilitated sponsor interaction with attendees
Request: 2500 USD equivalent of shares