What is Jekyll?
- Jekyll has no dependencies on the server side
- Can be put on basically any server
High level workflow
- Create markdown & template files locally
- Compile them into static files
- Send final files to server
Writing is EASY with Jekyll
- Uses plain text (markdown, textile)
- Compiles Sass right out of the box
- Layouts are created with
- Ruby library created for Shopify originally
- Powers many other things on the web now
- Jekyll was create by GitHub for
- Can easily deploy content for FREE!
- Once a site is generated, it is not reliant on Jekyll or any technology anymore.
What are we creating?
- Header title and sub title
- Posts index with titles and dates
- Post titles direct to post page
- Same header as home
- Post title
- Post date
- Post body
- Related posts (next three)
- GitHub Account
- Register a free
- If you already have one, log in
- Ruby Gems
- Packaging system
- Jekyll is a Ruby Gem
- macOS and Linux (http://jekyllrb.com/docs/installation/)