JLab Dev Meeting Minutes - 2019
Wednesdays, 9:00am PT
24 September 2019 onward:
We are now using HackMD: https://hackmd.io/Uscrk0N1RhCtX-p6ZHUuWQ?both
18 September 2019
- #7182, #7192, and various bugs caused by backwards compatibility issues
- what should backwards compatibility mean for Jlab? Should all 1.x core packages be compatible with each other?
- Tricky issues with implicit dependencies (eg on something provided by an extension packakge)
- Backwards compatibility issues with 1.1.3, and in general our philosophy moving forward
- Kernel session refactor
- PyDataNYC talk
- Want to mention the excellent introductory video by Van: https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/issues/6811
- Mehmet Bektas:
- Question about publishing coreutils
- Reviewing and updating https://github.com/jupyterlab/debugger/pull/36
- Took a break for a week
- OT: Website team has wrapped design, been working on getting it built.
- Talk about using hackMD and posting meeting minutes in an issue.
- Backwards compatibility:
- Honor semver
- DOM structure is not part of the public API
- #main id is probably public API
- Exported JS objects from the main import
- CSS public variable names (not explicitly “private” variable names)
- Now after 1.0 we need to be more mindful of backwards incompatabilities
- Possibly add some Github tooling to make it easier to spot minor/major changes, and compare that to current state of master
11 September 2019
- Still trying to sift through behavior of deferredExtensions here: https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/pull/7147
- Should we remove deferred loading extensions in 2.0?
- Released @jupyterlab/shortcutui 0.4
- Cal Poly Intern Extensions.
- How do we sustainably maintain them moving forward?
- Where do they belong? We mentioned jupyterlab org, but maybe that’s unsafe while they are still experimental.
- Open issues for each individual repo on the team-compass repo.
- jupyter_server, jupyterlab, notebook, and nbclassic discussion.
- Should we make a ‘notebookNext’ branch under notebook as a way to move forward?
- Switching to server extension for notebook server would force extension developers to update.