Homework: Net Art Pioneers Activity
For the next activity, we’ll look at a few examples of early net art that is still viewable online. For each example, answer the following questions:
Feel free to work in groups if you’d prefer!
- What is the first thing you do on the website? What do you think the artist intended you to do?
- How does imagery function in this piece?
- How does typography function in this piece?
- How does the navigation and hyperlink function in this piece?
- Is there a narrative in this piece? How is it communicated (through design/graphics/interaction?)
- How does this website compare to websites you use more often?
- How would you evaluate the design?
You can place your answers on our shared Mural doc:
Credits: This activity is inspired by Alison Colman’s research described in Net.art and Net.pedagogy: Introducing Internet Art to the Digital Art Curriculum (2004)
1. (1999) – Jodi (Dirk Paesmans & Joan Heemskerk)
2. – Mark Napier
3. (2000) – David S. Touretzky
4. (2004) – Olia Lialina
5. (1996) – Group Z