📝Critique 1 – News Room
I’m dividing the class into two groups . You’re only required to stay in the Zoom during your group’s presentations, but you’re welcome to stay for both if you’d like. Please link your project below where it says “url” underneath your name.
You’ll notice that each person has been assigned a first responder (1R), and notetaker (N). The first responder (1R) will kick off our discussion as soon as the presenter has finished sharing their work. The notetaker will listen carefully and document the highlights of the critique on our document.
👉Please also submit your assignment on Canvas.
When critiquing, these are the questions we should consider:
- Is there a clear narrative? What kind of narrative strategies were incorporated?
- What parts of the project were most effective?
- How does the design support the content?
- Would you know what this project is about by looking at it? Why or why not?
- What parts were weak — what would have helped?
- Any questions left unanswered?
- How might the designer continue to evolve this piece?
⏰ We’ll have a timer set for ~10 minutes per presentation.
Group 1 – 2:05pm
Sarah, Ellie, Ashley, Olive, Mia, Zining, Sabrina,
Group 2 – 3:25 pm
Tayo, Zoe, Erin, Brian, Daniel, Marlies
Examples that stood out to the class
Sarah (1R: Ellie, N: Ashley)
- Great structure; especially liked the way the user navigates from page to page
- Interesting content; there was a contrast between tweets and quoted text
- Layout and font choices seem to be inspired by newspaper/print media, but the content itself is digital — especially the serif typography of the heading vs. the digital typeface of Vanessa’s quotes
- Perhaps take a deeper look into the significance behind certain typefaces —> create more harmony amongst the typography chosen
Ellie (1R: Ashley, N: Olive)
- Feels very communal and personal because of the drawings
- The website as a hub for people to come together which reflects communal food sharing
- Is there a reason for the staggered quotes?
- The tributes page’s layout felt thoughtful
- Menu as a play on words off a restaurant menu
- Incorporate more illustrations, it works well in the home page. Develop a system to incorporate them?
- All the same typeface but different sizes