Class of 2023 Bulletin Board
Message(s) from Kim:
Hi all: A reminder that your Pub II Assignment 2: Reflections on the Residency and Pitching, is due on January 23 at midnight your time. Please be sure to follow the instructions on what to name the file (found in your syllabus). Lost your syllabus? You can always download a copy from the Pub II Brightspace page.
And for Assignment 3: I emailed the legal issues open-book exam to you earlier this week. The deadline for that is Feb. 13. The exam and associated resources may also be found on the Pub II Brightspace page (with links).
Message from Kim:
Hi all: Looking forward to seeing you all online on January 8! The residency schedule is posted to Brightspace in the Online Community. It is also posted in the Publishing II section, along with the Publishing II syllabus, a recorded overview of the residency, a recorded overview of Publishing II, and a variety of Publishing II assignment resources. Attached here—and posted to Brightspace—is the Winter Guests Bio package, including bios of guests for the residency as well as the winter webinars.
NOTE: Your first assignment--"Agents & Publishers"--is due on January 7 at midnight your time. I will be taking the week between Christmas and New Year's off, so if you have questions about this assignment, please get them to me before Dec. 24 or after Jan. 2.
Helga has kindly alerted me that one of the links in the syllabus has been changed: the list of Canadian agents posted by the Association of Canadian Publishers is now at .
Schedules and Zoom links:
The Pitch Day schedule—which tells you who you will be meeting with—will be shared on the first day of the residency.
Zoom links for the residency session will be posted to Brightspace in the Online Community, and will also be emailed to you the evening before the sessions.
You will hear from your coffee shop hosts with links to their Zoom rooms at the beginning of January.
You will also hear directly from your mentor with links to their Zoom sessions.
Graduation—or as King's calls it, Encaenia
Graduation is slated for May 25, and you can find details on it as they are finalized here: You will also receive updates to your Dal email address about various deadlines and preparations, so please ensure that you either check your Dal email regularly or forward it to your preferred email account. Also, the Creative Nonfiction Collective is holding its annual conference in Halifax this year on the King's campus from May 26-28, so you may wish to check out their offerings and take advantage of their student membership and conference rates. You can find out more here:
December 16, 2022.
Winter Residency Schedule:
We'll have five evening webinars, all of which will be recorded and posted to Brightspace:
- January 26, 8 pm Atlantic: Publicist Anthony LaSasso on what authors need to know about book publicity
- February 1, 8 pm Atlantic: Melissa Febos, author of Body Work: The Radical Power of Personal Narrative, the critically acclaimed memoir Whip Smart and two essay collections, Abandon Me and Girlhood, will join us for a Q&A on personal narrative.
- February 23, 8 pm Atlantic: Bruce Walsh, former publisher of House of Anansi Press, founding director of University of Regina Press and former director of marketing and publicity at McClelland & Stewart, will present on demystifying the publishing process, from acquisitions to the finished product to how books get into market.
- April 6, 8 pm Atlantic: Author, agent and author coach Chelene Knight will present on 10 ways to maintain momentum in your writing practice.
- Date tbd: Ivan Coyote, performer and author of Care Of, Rebent Sinner, Tomboy Survival Guide and other books, will join us for a writing craft session.
- Graduation (aka Encaenia) date is confirmed: Thursday, May 25, 2023
- Reminder: Register to graduate before December 1, 2022.
- End of Fall term is December 7, 2022