BOOK SUMMARY| Work Rules!, by Laszlo Bock
#HR: Recruitment, Culture, People
Based on WORK Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That will Transform How you live and lead; Laszlo Bock.
“If you are committed to transforming your team or your organization, hiring better is the single best way to do it.”
“Every single role is important. The different between an average administrative assistant and an exceptional one is profound…”
"Elaine D. Pulakos and Ryan S. O’Leary, “Why Is Performance Management Broken?” Industrial and Organizational Psychology 4, no. 2 (2011): 146–164." from "Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead" by Laszlo Bock
- Become a Founder
- Build a culture that makes people act like founders
- The Essence is Freedom
- Mission is central
- Develop one that matters
- Avoid “profit, shareholders, etc.”
- Values and assumptions underneath matter the most
- Give people more trust, freedom and authority that you are comfortable with.
- If you are not nervous, you haven’t given them enough
- Network of Culture Club (to help with Distributed workforce)
- Default to OPEN
- Hiring - #1 activity in any organization
- Invest in HR in recruiting as a Core competence
- Hire only the best, no exceptions and take your time.
- Top notch person is worth 300x an average person.
- Take your time
- It’s worth it.
- Create a database and track the best
- only 10% of applicants will be top performers
- Hire someone/people better than you in a meaningful way
- Don’t let managers make hiring decisions (cmte system)
- It gives them too much power over their teams
- Don’t hire exclusively for smarts
- Find the best people who will be successful in the context of your organization
- … and make everyone around them successful
- Accomplishments matter more than pedigree (education, grades, etc.)
- Sourcing - How to find Exceptional Candidates
- Get the best referrals by being excruciatingly specific