210609_New Literacy for Media Infrastructure and "Media Biotope"
AI and Society: New Media Literacy and Politics Webinar
June 9, 2021
ICCE, Goldsmiths, University of London
Editor & producer
Watch out! Recent popularity of media literacy
- In a world of fake news and misinformation, people chant the importance of media literacy like magic.
- But media literacy is not a miracle medicine but a herbal remedy.
- There are prescriptions for it (design and evaluation of learning programs, materials, learning communities, etc.).
- Confusion with media conspiracy theories
- Collusion between media protectionism and political conservatism
- Media studies & media literacy
- The New literacy for media infrastructure project
- Four types of infra-literacy
- T3 workshop: Media landscape without Apple
- Flora model of new media literacy
- Media Biotope: designing media ecology
1. Transition of media studies & media literacy
Objects of media studies
Purpose of media studies
Thinkers and researchers
Purpose of media literacy
S. Hall, J. Fisk, E. Ang, M. Suzuki, M. Fujita, S. Ishita
J. Dewey, D. Buckingham, G. Lovink, M. Tsuda, Y. Mouri
H. Innis, J. Peters, M. Fuller, M. Nakai, T. Hanada
- Interview video with Stewart Hall (for “Media Studies” Open University Japan, 2000)
- Media literacy has developed under the strong influence of theories in media studies.
- Present media literacy has been mainly cultivated by critical media theories primarily focused on texts, messages, and contents. Their highlight was the 1990s.
- With the ecological transition of digital technologies including AI and robot in the 21st century, media literacy should examine not only critical awareness of media texts but more on media platforms, infrastructures. They are hard to see.
2. The New literacy for media infrastructure project
- Interdisciplinary and socially-engaged research project funded three years (2018-2021) by MEXT, Japan.
- Conducted by Univ. of Tokyo, co-generated by co-ops, ICT&media industries, and neighbourhoods.
- Examining the new theory of media-infra literacy and designing workshop-style learning programs and toolbox mainly for university students and adults.
- (Media Expression, Learning and Literacy Project: 2001-2006) & MELL Platz (2007-12)
- Alliance with the
- Future collaboration with , Bournemouth University